Anoka/Elk River Automobile/Car Accident

Automobile/Car (motor vehicle) Accidents and Injuries

Do You Have a Car Accident Case?

If you are involved in an auto accident in Minnesota, your right to recover compensation will be affected by the state’s no-fault insurance laws. The no-fault laws can be confusing. You want an experienced attorney to protect your rights, someone who fully understands the law and process, and who has helped others in situations like yours.

Mr. Malzahn has over 30 years of experience with helping people in Minnesota who have been injured in car accidents. Though he is a skilled negotiator who will seek to secure full compensation in a settlement, if possible, he is also a trial lawyer, and is always willing and able to protect your rights in court. Be sure to view “The First 5 Things to do Following an Accident


1. Seek proper medical attention:

Seek proper medical attention. Car accident injuries can range from minor to catastrophic. Regardless, it is important that you seek proper medical attention immediately following a car accident. There may be hidden or imperceptible injuries which are not immediately apparent that can become serious or even life-threatening. Additionally, the sooner a person obtains proper medical care and treatment, the sooner the healing process begins and the more effective it becomes. For further discussion on this topic including compensation for medical bills, see our information on Minnesota No-fault Law.

2. Notify the police

It is proper to summon the police to an accident scene as soon as possible. The police are trained to respond immediately to begin the process of caring for any injury. Thereafter, the accident scene is secured to prevent further accidents, and then an on scene investigation is commenced to determine how the accident occurred. By law the police are required to complete an official State Traffic Accident Report form. This form is used by every insurance carrier for numerous reasons including verifying that an accident took place, determining the parties involved, and reaching an initial determination as to which party was at fault for the cause of the accident. Once the police arrive on the scene and the initial physical health/injury concerns have been addressed, be sure to explain to the responding law enforcement officer the proper measures you took to avoid an accident, and the conduct of the other involved driver which led to what caused your accident.

3. Obtain photographs

Photographs are a vital piece of evidence in every accident case. It is recommended that photographs of the damage to all of the involved vehicles be obtained prior to their repair. Normally 10 – 20 photographs should be taken using a camera with color film. The photographs should be immediately developed (one hour) to verify they are of high quality. If not, the process should be repeated. It is also suggested that a minimum of 20 photographs be obtained of the accident scene. Often times this is quite helpful when explaining or retelling the story of the accident many months, if not years later.

4. Do not give a recorded statement

Regardless of whether you were fault-free, it is important that you do not initially give a recorded statement to any insurance company. This includes your own insurance company as well as the other involved driver’s. Your own policy of automobile insurance requires that you cooperate, and provide a statement at their request. However, it is suggested that prior thereto you simply consult with an attorney. Insurance companies are professionals as they are involved in the business of auto accidents every day throughout the year. Many times they do not have your best interest at heart, and by providing a recorded statement, you could be innocently, and unknowingly harming your case. Consequently, the best approach is to obtain a free legal consultation before speaking with insurance representatives.

5. Consult with a personal injury attorney

Consult with a personal injury attorney. When faced with a car accident, a person is immediately faced with making numerous important decisions regarding their own physical health, financial welfare, and very possibly the welfare of their loved ones. Complicating this decision-making process is the competing interests involved, namely, the other involved parties, their insurance company, and your insurance company as well. Under these circumstances, many people are naive, never having been through this process before. The best approach when faced with all of the above is to make an informed decision. For a free consultation, contact the personal injury law firm of Malzahn Law, Ltd. for help – we’re on your side.

“Let him know what’s happened. Let him help you and guide you so that the outcome is a better experience for you than just not doing anything at all.”

– Dana Cich

Video: Watch Dana and Joe tell their story following their car accident.

Injuries caused by car, truck and motorcycle accidents

For over 30 years, we have advised and represented clients suffering from a wide range of injuries sustained from motor vehicle accidents:

  • Whiplash
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Head trauma and brain damage
  • Neck and back injuries
  • Amputations
  • Disfigurement
  • Trauma resulting in death


When you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in Minnesota, all motor vehicle insurance is governed by the state’s no-fault laws. Under the statute, when you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, some medical expenses, loss of income and other miscellaneous costs are paid for by your insurance company, regardless of who was at fault. Your insurance company will pay a broad range of benefits, including:

  • Medical expenses, from doctor and hospitalization to prescription and mileage reimbursement for travel to medical facilities and care providers
  • Compensation for loss of income, at a rate of 85% of your loss of gross income to a maximum of $500 per week
  • Compensation for household services that you cannot perform, such as housecleaning, lawn work and snow removal


Our law firm represents clients throughout Minnesota. If you or someone you know has been seriously injured, contact Mark W. Malzahn today for a free case consultation. With offices in Anoka and Elk River, we have a location near you. Call our Anoka office at 763-421-2160 or our Elk River office at 763-441-4040 and speak to attorney Mark W. Malzahn.